While installing both Flash Builder 4 and ColdFusion Builder I ran into an issue that had me wondering what I did wrong. Here is the setup I was going for: Flash Builder 4 Premium Standalone with ColdFusion Builder Eclipse Plug-in installed into the Flash Builder install. This was all done on Windows 7 64-bit.

Step 1. Install Flash Builder 4 Premium Standalone. Everything went great! No issue with this install, as you can see.

fb4

Step 2. Install ColdFusion Builder Eclipse Plug-in into the Flash Builder install. The install went well, as expected. The problem was when I launched Flash Builder, I could not find the ColdFusion Builder perspective.

After uninstalling ColdFusion Builder and re-installing with the same results, I tried one last thing. I fired up Flash Builder by right-clicking and “Run as administrator” and I could finally bring up the ColdFusion Builder perspective just fine!

fb4_2

And the results…

cb1

Hope this info helps!

Flash Builder 4 & ColdFusion Builder Install Issues

5 thoughts on “Flash Builder 4 & ColdFusion Builder Install Issues

• April 20, 2010 at 12:13 pm

David,

I ran into the same problem. Thanks for posting your fix. You saved me a headache.

Cheers,
    Bob

• April 29, 2010 at 5:53 pm

same here… same config as you David, Win7, 64 bit, Flash Builder 4 premium as standalone went great, then loaded in the disk from the premium back for CF Builder, and couldnt see the perspective at all. Ran as admin and bingo, its there. Does this mean I have to run as Admin every time? This seems like a bizarre issue, perhaps a Win7 related thing. Havent started working with it yet, but it leaves me wondering what build issues or other things might crop up!
    Anyway, thanks for the hint on this one, Much appreciated.

Paul

• April 29, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Hi David, I just rechecked my user account and as I suspected, I am the ONLY user on my laptop, and according to Win7, I am an administrator, yet I experienced exactly your problem, and was successful with the ‘workround’. Bizarre.
    pi

• April 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Hi Paul,
    I only had to “Run as administrator” once. After that ColdFusion Builder loaded just fine into Flash Builder. Seems like it just may need to write some plugin info the first time and after that you are golden.

Glad this helped you out!

• December 6, 2011 at 5:54 am

I had the same goal to install CFBuilder as a plug-in inside FlashBuilder 4.5 (on Windows 7). Like David, I could not see the CFBuilder perspective. I tried David’s recommendation to start FlashBuilder as an Administrator, however, this did not solve my problem. Fortunately, I found an easy fix on a CF Newsgroup. First, you delete the “cfbuider.link” file from the FlashBuilder 4.5 “dropins” folder, and re-start FlashBuilder. This clears the plug-in cache. Then, copy the cfbuilder.link file back into the dropins folder and re-start FlashBuilder again. Everything works fine now! I hope Adobe Labs will address this problem, even if it’s an Eclipse issue.